App Store Optimization (ASO) - How to enhance your AppStore presence
Many people think that after you commissioned your app to a developer and discussed all points you can sit back and relax and wait for it to be done. This will not be true for two main reason. First, a good developer will keep communication open; not only to keep you involved but also because there are always many small details that haven't been addressed previously. Second, you need to prepare your page on the App Store, perhaps one of the most important things that will strongly influence your app's success: App Store Optimization. The way I like to do this is to first fill out everything, without spending days figuring out the perfect copy. This will make it easier to see it as a whole and stay focused. This is helpful also when you plan including inapp purchase, game center or other services. You will need to have an app created in iTunes Connect in order to be able and implement them. App Store Optimization is a never ending process. Your ranking and visibility in the App Store depends both on your own metadata and your competitors'. They will always try to get ahead of you so you will need to do the same. With every update of your app, it is a good idea to "freshen up" your details. These are some good questions/tips about App Store Optimization to get you on track:
- should I change the icon (to emulate or stand out from competition)
- how about keeping the same layout but changing colour-scheme
- does the icon convey what the app is about?
- how does my icon compare when surrounded by other apps?
- is the title clear
- is it taking advantage of long tail keywords
- does it describe the app's functionality
- can it be more engaging
- easy it cluttered or easy to read?
- does it include social proof?
- does it describe common uses and answers to past negative reviews?
- is it engaging?
- does it include a call to action
- is the first one the best?
- should I add text to them (more like advertisement)
- does it showoff the best feature?
- do they fit well with the icon?
- do they reflect the update's new features?
- how do people search for my app (descriptive or brand name)
- what keywords do competitors use?
- are there any new keywords to include?
- are you using all the characters available (avoid plural and spaces)?
- did I pick the most appropriate one?
- could I rank better in a different one (lower competition)?
- are my competitors in the same categories?
Published: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 17:55:31 +0000